We have seen it far too often…
At Family Implant & Cosmetic Dentistry, we know that with missing teeth, it can be easy to find yourself feeling self-conscious about your smile, about the way you chew your food, or even about what items you can and cannot order from a restaurant. Even conversing may be difficult for you depending on which teeth are missing.
If you have dentures, the fear of losing them mid-conversation can be terrifying. Missing teeth can also cause a whole host of physical issues, from shrinking gums to increased pressure on other teeth.
Having insecurities about your teeth is not something you have to live with for the rest of your life as you can completely revitalize your smile with cosmetic dentistry from Family Implant & Cosmetic Dentistry, with options like dental implants, dentures, and veneers. Soon you find out all the problems that dental implants can solve but first we must address dentures…
Why Dental Implants Should Be Your First Choice For Missing Teeth
For many years, dentures have been the go-to solution for individuals with missing teeth. This was mainly because:
- Their ability to provide the same function of your regular teeth while being removable at the end of the day.
- They provide your mouth with the structural support that it needs to complete routine tasks such as eating, smiling, and chewing and they also prevent the drooping of facial muscles.
- They come in a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and options such as partial dentures, snap on dentures, immediate dentures, and full arch treatment.
So what can be the problem with dentures then?
Problems With Removable Full Dentures:
When you compare the difference between a full mouth dental implant restoration versus having removable full dentures, implants are highly advantageous in the long run because they provide individuals with more bite force. For those who wear dentures for longer than 5+ years, they may experience a reduction in bite force, food intake becoming impaired, and healthy food items are more difficult to chew. Due to this, a lot of individuals who wear dentures find that they can’t consume high-fiber foods, consume fewer vegetables and fruits, and have digestive changes and issues as a result, causing them to have a lower quality of life and shorter life expectancy.
Problems With Removable Partial Dentures:
Those who have partial dentures report having to deal with movement throughout the day. This increased movement causes plaque problems as bacteria finds the crevices and grooves created by the movement and hunkers down in tough to reach areas. This can lead to bleeding in the area where the missing teeth are, increase your risk for cavities, cause taste difficulties, and even slur speech. These reasons are why partial dentures are not a popular option among patients.
Overall disadvantages of dentures:
Other than the listed disadvantages above, dentures can also only be relined so many times and they are not immune to breaking as the acrylic that they are usually made of, can crack.
How Can Dental Implants Solve Your Problems?
- Dental Implants Are Permanent: Unlike dentures which are prone to slipping, dental implants are a permanent solution that, once fitted, behave like your natural teeth. This means you can brush them, floss them, and use mouthwash on them without having them slip around.
- They Have a Natural Appearance: They are the closest prosthetic you can get that resembles your natural teeth. In most cases, no one will be able to tell that they aren’t real teeth unless you tell them so. Dentures make it obvious when you have to take them out to properly eat your meal.
- They Deter Tooth Loss: When bridgework is done for dentures, if the teeth beside the dental bridge are too large or if the bridgework needs to be replaced, the surrounding teeth can be negatively impacted. Dental implants do not rely on any of your other teeth for support and so they are never adversely impacted.
- They Do Not Wear on Your Jawbone: Dental implants actually promote jawbone health by reinforcing your jawbone and causing it to grow around the implant.
- They Last a Lifetime: Although dentures last for many years, dental implants will last for the rest of your life because they are a permanent solution that requires your jawbone to fuse with the implant.
- They Free You From Annoying Denture Adhesives: If you are someone who has had dentures in the past, you know how messy and bothersome the adhesive can be. Dental implants provide a stable solution without the aid of an adhesive.
The largest benefit of all though is that dental implants afford you the self-confidence you deserve. You will no longer have to fear about your teeth falling out, having them come loose while you eat, or worry about gum loss or future problems with your other teeth.
At Family, Implant and Cosmetic Dentistry we care about making our patients feel confident about their smile and it all starts with a FREE Dental Implant consultation. Our team will explain the whole process from start to finish and plan a procedure around YOUR schedule. We understand that dental anxiety can keep you from visiting us so sedation options are available for relaxing and comfortable dental implant procedures. If you’d like to schedule your free dental implant consultation give us call at (813)-684-7888 or fill out our contact form.