Laser dentistry is a very effective, yet minimally invasive option compared to other procedures such as gum surgery, cavity treatment, or other oral procedures. Laser dentistry uses extremely focused light beams to alter or remove soft tissue in small amounts. While laser dentistry has been in existence since the early 90’s, technological advancements in laser treatment have greatly expanded its uses in dental care.
Benefits of laser dentistry treatment:
Laser dentistry in Brandon, FL provides both adults and children anesthesia-free treatment and new levels of comfort during dental procedures. As an alternative to drills, curettes, and scalers, laser dentistry patients will experience reduced discomfort and quicker recovery times.
- Patients will be less likely to need sutures
- Anesthesia may not be required compared to traditional methods and when used is used in lesser amounts
- Fewer chances of infection as the laser will sterilize the gums
- Overall less damage to gums and soft tissue shortening healing time
- Typical less blood loss than traditional surgery
Types of Brandon, FL laser dentistry:
Different lasers are designed for specific materials in the mouth that they are designed to shape or cut according to the specific procedure.
- Hard tissue lasers are greatly absorbable by hydroxyapatite, an element found in both bones and teeth, and are used in procedures such as detecting cavities, removing cavities, curing tooth sensitivity, and sculpting teeth.
- Soft tissue lasers are greatly absorbable by water and hemoglobin, elements commonly found in red blood cells, and are used in procedures such as cosmetic gum surgery, crown lengthening, soft tissue detachment, healing mouth sores, and reaching impacted teeth.
What laser dentistry has the ability to treat:
While most procedures involving lasers are related to the gums, lasers can also complete procedures that previously required drills, curettes, or scalers including:
- Gum reshaping
- Putting holes in teeth
- Treating root canal infections
- Treating gum disease
- Removing gum inflation
- Removing material from teeth
- Biopsies on teeth or gums
- Exposing wisdom teeth
- Canker sore and cold sore pain treatments
- Expediting teeth whitening procedures
Water laser dentistry:
Brandon, FL water laser dentistry uses a combination of water, air, and laser energy to safely use inside the human mouth. The laser extracts water found naturally in our teeth to cut through the tooth while simultaneously spraying the tooth with water to keep the tooth fully hydrated and pain-free.
What to expect from a laser dentistry appointment:
During the procedure, the patient will experience less noise, vibrations, and discomfort from laser-like they would from a drill. After the procedure, the patient will not have to recover from an open, bleeding wound as they would experience from a procedure with a scalpel or scalers. For further information on the use of water lasers in dentistry see this page.